Thursday 2 July 2009

Slowly picking up speed

Forward track to the Autumn and I’d restored the 356a, sold it for a healthy profit, had carried out some small maintenance jobs for some local customers and had enough cash to pay for some of the tools that I’d been helping myself to.

Looking for my next project, I stumbled across… guess what… another Porsche 356 but a 356C this time.

This was clearly going to be a big job as the car needed some seriously major welding. The decision was made to go for it and I set about a full nut and bolt strip down. I new it was going to be bad but once the paint had been taken off back to bare metal, it was clear that I was either going to have to break the car for spares or produce a collectors standard masterpiece. I opted for the latter. It paid off because, despite it nearly ruining me financially, I finally sold the car some 9 months later for top money and made another healthy profit. Phew!

Clearly, when you’re working on your own, you can’t have all your eggs in one basket and I needed day jobs to come in while I was progressing the two Porsche’s, and I did all I could to get anybody that I thought would have even the slightest interest in classic cars to come and see what I was working on. I spent an awful lot of time trying to get my rapidly expanding website up the Google listings and showing off photo’s of ongoing work. Gradually, I was getting more and more day jobs coming through the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment